Tuesday, April 24, 2012

arriving at holesovice station in Prague from Vienna

Will be traveling by train in Prague from Vienna in April and arriving at Holesovice station (since it looks like only non stops from Vienna arrive there). I will be staying at the K+K Hotel Central at



Hybernská 10.





Reading all the posts I am a little bit intimidated and would appreciate any help.



1) at Holesovice, are there ATMs so I can pick up some Czech currencty?



2) What is the best way to get to the hotel with some, but not huge amounts of luggage? All the articles say avoid taxis like the plague--so should I take the metro? Will it be obvious where the metro entrance is and where you buy tickets if you don%26#39;t have coins for the machines? And reading the fine details of the websites do you really have to buy a 10 czk ticket as a luggage surcharge?





Any Help appreciated




|||



Hi racb. I lived in Prague for six months about three years ago. I used Holesovice several times during my stay. First of all, there is most definitely an ATM at the station. There are ATMs at most Metro stations as well.


Holesovice station connects with the red line. I didn%26#39;t use taxis while I was there, but didn%26#39;t know there was such a problem with them. I had a pass for the Metro, so I just used that all of the time. I can%26#39;t remember exactly, but I think the machines where you can purchase Metro tickets accept bills. There are also small convenience stores within the train station if you need to break a bill for change. I don%26#39;t know anything about the 10 crown ticket for luggage. I had luggage with me several times on the Metro and never once had a problem. Do buy a ticket for the Metro though (even if it%26#39;s just a one-way). It would be really bad luck, but it%26#39;s possible to get stopped by an undercover officer as you get off the Metro who wants to see your ticket.




|||



I can%26#39;t say for sure where the ATM%26#39;s are at the station but, there are definitely money changing offices to change a bit of money for transport etc. Try and get 30kc of change in Czech Korun coins. This will get you a 20kc single journey ticket and a 10kc luggage ticket. Take a look at http://www.livingprague.com/htmetro.htm for my guide to using the ticket machines (coin only) although a link to the official guide is also there. Take the metro in the direction of Haje and get off at Florenc. Then take the yellow line direction Zlicin, one stop to Namesti Republiky. When you exit this station take the exit for %26quot;Na Prikope and Revolucni%26quot;, at the end of the road you%26#39;ll see %26quot;Ceska Narodni Banka%26quot;. Turn left here and your hotel is 50 metres or so on the right.





Jason




|||



Thanks to all who responded to my query. I have one followup question...My plan is to buy trains tickets to Prague when I arrive in Vienna on April 15 for an April 18 departure to Prague.



1)Is there any reaon why I would have to buy before this? Like it being Easter week?





2) Looked at all the websites re schedules so I have no problem there...could buy at the raileurope site now...but my assumption is that this is pretty expensive..second class round trip is US $264 and first class US $384. Does anyone have a sense of what tickets would cost if purchased in Vienna?





Thanks again to all who have responded to previous inquiries




|||



There is an ATM near to the metro entrance at Holesovice station. Do though run your fingers over the ATM to make sure that this has not been tampered with beforehand. If you are coming from Austria and not going back, the exchange bureaux in Vienna will normally be able to change Euros for Czech crowns for you, to give you peace of mind when you arrive.





10 crown luggage ticket applies broadly for luggage which is over aircraft hand luggage size.





To avoid chnaging at Florenc with luggage, I would take the red line metro 2 stops to Hlavni Nadrazi, the central station. Come out of the station on the right, go across the small park. Come to the road, Opletalova, cross over it and walk to the end of the street, which is Hybernska. Turn left and the hotel is on the left of the street, over the next road.

No comments:

Post a Comment