Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Czech wine

Of course I do know that the proper drink in Prague is beer, but we will probably like to have some wine when we are there too.





When checking out restaurant / café webpages, I have noticed that many, at least cheaper places, have mostly Czech wines. I must admit that my knowledge of Czech wine is non-existant, so I would like some tips on what is good, and what we should stay away from. I would appriaciate as precise tips as possible (wine names / producers).





Thanks in advance!




|||



Czech wine is an acquired taste. Personal view is that reds are always behind in the quality stakes, especially Frankovka. Some acceptable white wines exist and the qulaity is getting better, but stay away from any Muller Thurgau or Riesling. If I am pushed to name a vineyard, Habanske Sklepy and Lobkowicz are the only two I would say you can avoid a bad experience with, but finding these wines in Prague restaurants is often not easy.





If you%26#39;re really interested, there is a good wine shop on Krizovnicka just past the Four Seasons near the Charles Bridge. They can arrange tastings and give you much more connoisseur advice than I can.





Best wishes to Tromso. Really lovely part of the world (apart from in the winter where you have little daylight)




|||



Yes, I suspected that Czech wine might be an acquired taste (*lol*), so I really just wanted to know what to ask for in an emergency (that is if I couldn%26#39;t find any wines that I was remotely familiar with). Thanks for answering, peb7!





As for the polar night in Tromsø, it ended a few days ago, though we haven%26#39;t seen the sun yet, due to heavy clouds. But actually I like the dark period of the year, it gives me an opportunity to light candles and snuggle up with a book and a glass of wine - it%26#39;s a downright cozy season in my opinion.




|||



Beware. Foreign wines in restaurants are expensive - but then I guess that you are used to that coming from norway




|||



I%26#39;m not a wine expert, but when we were in Prague a couple of weeks ago we drank nothing but Czech red wine. I thought it was good, very enjoyable. it was not particularly expensive either. Hope you enjoy it!




|||



I can reccomend the Muller Thurgau its very pallatable,I did not like the Riesling as I thought it tasted very musty.I can also reccomend Bohemian sekt brut it is a lovely light sparkling wine and really cheap as is the Muller,if still in doubt ask your restaurant to reccomend a good local wine I have heard many people do this and have never seen anyone dissapointed.



TORII




|||



Squaremeal.cz has a good little wine guide (up to 1998) at http://www.squaremeal.cz/index.php?p=wine. It might be worth you getting the bus up to Melnik and visiting the Lobkowicz Chateau for some wine tasting. Buses leave from Holesovice and take about 30 mins to Melnik.





Jason

No comments:

Post a Comment