Saturday, April 21, 2012

New Year

I know its a long way off but we%26#39;re definately coming over for New Year, I had planned to stay at U Karlovu Mostu on Kampa Island. However I%26#39;ve just unearthed some amazing prices for the Ventana or Riverside. Am I correct that the Riverside is a bit far out? Both look nice, I just can%26#39;t picture the riverside location am I right that its down by the dancing building but on opposite side of river?





Thanks




|||



I just checked out the location of the Riverside on the interactive map. Looks to be quite a way down the river on the Mala Strana side.




|||



Hi Sarah


It%26#39;s never to early to start planning holidays especially if you find a good deal. We%26#39;ve already booked our New Year in Tallinn. Got the hotel free with Hilton Honors points and the flights for £66 each.


Hope we all have a splendid time just don%26#39;t forget the thermals!


Jackie




|||



Riverside is just next to the Jiraskuv bridge, which is 25 minutes walk from the centre. It%26#39;s right by the riverside and is very well done out and the reviews on this site are good. Doesn%26#39;t have a restaurant though.





For a Prague regular, you just need to walk five minutes across the Jiraskuv bridge to the Dancing Building at Jirskovo namesti and there you can catch the 17 tram all the way up to Starometska metro station and the 21 tram to Tesco, or walk ten minutes towards Andel and catch the 12 tram into Mala Strana.





On New Years Eve, this means you can have a quiet walk back to the hotel after the fireworks. Staying at the Ventana, you need to walk through the old town square which is almost no mans land full or people trhowing fireworks and champagne bottles in the air.





If you can get a good price, and are happy to take the public transport, I would go for the Riverside. They don%26#39;t put hotels in the Small Luxury Hotels of the World group for nothing




|||



Jackie





If you%26#39;re staying at the Scandic St Barbara hotel in Tallinn, make sure you book a high room or a room at the back, as its on the busiest road into Tallinn (no metros there). Also an uphill walk to the centre. Wouldn%26#39;t be my choice for Tallinn, but you can%26#39;t complain if it is for free.




|||



Thanks Peb I knew you wouldn%26#39;t let me down. It is where I thought it was, suspect we%26#39;ll go for there then. You know I%26#39;m not scared of public transport!




|||



Hi Peb



We%26#39;re staying at the Scandic Palace and I agree it%26#39;s not our first choice but we have enough Hilton honours points to stay here for free, we are thinking about actually spending New Year at sea as we%26#39;ve got flights very cheaply along with a free hotel so a bit of expense is allowed. I%26#39;m not one to boast but I%26#39;ve managed to swing 3 free nights at the Scandic Neringa in Vilnius this summer too using points. I love free stuff.



We%26#39;re paying our way in Prague I haven%26#39;t found a way to blag it there yet.



Take care



Jackie




|||



Jackie





when you find a way to blag Prague let me in on the secret please





Sarah




|||



Hi Sarah



I can tell you how we are getting the other free stuff though, when you get a Beneficial Hilton Honors Credit Card they give you 5,000 points with your first purchase, so my partner and I both got the cards, 5,000 points each, 10,000 points for a night at a Scandic so that was one.



Next we use it for everything we would normally pay cash for and pay it off each month, my partner is a sole trader TV man and he uses it to buy stock, pay for fuel stuff he used to use his business chequebook for, I normally pay for food and household stuff with a debit card, not any more.



We were already Hilton Honors members, and you get extra points for each booking, so when I go to the States in April for my 5 nights at a Hampton Inn I have three reservations, extra bonus each time.



I just love free stuff and I love playing the system, but Prague Hilton costs so many points to stay there it wouldn%26#39;t be practical.



Jackie




|||



Jackie. I aplaud you for getting your house in order.





Must confess, I have hundreds of thousands of air miles, Amex points and tens of thousands of hotel points which are just unused. Problem is, what do you do with air miles when your wife is scared to fly and the last thing I want to do on a real holiday when I do it twice a week, is get on another plane and stay in another corporate hotel?




|||



Hi Peb


You give me all your airmiles, all your hotel points and I will put them to good use:) I promise you they wont go to waste.


I do know the problem of a spouse with different holiday ideas, mine wont go to America even though my son is there so I%26#39;m flying off into the wide blue yonder without him.


But if your wife wont fly then why not sail, though thinking about it if you live in Prague how many cruise ships call in there? We%26#39;ve sailed round the Baltic a fair bit and try to incorporate a sailing into at least one of our trips each year.


I look forward to getting all those freebies:)))


Jackie

No comments:

Post a Comment