Monday, April 16, 2012

Pickpockets in Prague

I had read the warnings about pickpockets in the travel guides. I thought my defenses were good: whenever in a potentially dangerous situation I would keep the back of my left hand against my buttoned back pocket wherein rested my wallet. Alas, to no avail!



We were standing in a crowded metro train approaching the mustek station which is a transfer point between the yellow and green lines. I had my hand guarding my pocket when the doors opened. Suddenly there was an enormous surge of people toward the door...I was pushed forward and immediately felt my wallet was gone! I didn%26#39;t see or feel a thing.



I got off at the next stop and went to the police station. I told the officer that my wallet was stolen. He asked whether the thief had a gun. I said that my wallet was just stolen on the train. He said unfortunately he could do nothing because %26quot;such thefts happen a hundred times a day in Prague%26quot;. Thank god this happened on the last day of our vacation instead of the first day.



So the moral of this story is there is no defense against a pickpocket in Prague and you will get no help from the police.




|||



Really sorry to hear that, I really hope it didn%26#39;t spoil Prague too much for you. I have to admit I generally feel very safe in Prague (probably safer than I do at home, in honesty). I believe that the main trams tourists use are well known as problem areas such number 22/23. I always take a bag with a long strap that I can wear across my body, with lots of zips and a flap over so not easy to get into. Generally I believe the moral is be very careful on busy trams and metro and watch the crowds. Honestly could easily happen anywhere in the world if you let your guard down for a minute. The Rome metro is much, much worse (in Prague%26#39;s defence!)




|||



Sarah...I have been on crowded subways in New York City during rush hour hundreds of times over the past 40 years without the slightest incident. Pickpocketing must be a very special problem in Prague. In his travel book %26quot;Best of Eastern Europe 2005%26quot;, Rick Steves devotes half of page 55 to warnings about pickpocketing in Prague. Fodor%26#39;s %26quot;Eastern and Central Europe%26quot; 20th edition, on page 181 warns of pickpockets on trams and metro cars in Prague. I have traveled on crowded subways many times recently in Madrid, Athens and other major capitals in Europe without incident.




|||



Hi Edward,





It%26#39;s not nice when this happens. As Sarah knows, I wrote a page to try and help people prevent this from happening or at least to be able to recover the situation at www.livingprague.com/warning.htm





You%26#39;ll find the following: %26quot;Avoid carrying a wallet if possible. Instead, split your cash throughout your pockets.%26quot;





No wallet means no pick. The other advice in this situation is to carry your wallet in your hand. No help now but, maybe others can avoid this inconvenience.





Jason




|||



The only problem I%26#39;ve found with pickpockets in Prague are the streetwalkers one Wencelas Square, obviously (for myself anyway!) I avoid them but many come up to you as close as possible to proposition you and offer themselves and two of my friends had their phones and wallets stolen. Somebody offered some good advice, don%26#39;t carry a wallet! Spread your money between pockets, keeping valuables in front pockets as these are more difficult to get too




|||



How about having a wallet with a chain on that fixes to your jeans, then when they try to pull it from your pocket they either have to pull you with it or give up/



Sova is this a wise idea or do you not advise it?



Also with winter coming up it should be more difficult to find a wallet under all the layers of clothing I guess.




|||



Chizlet...not a bad idea!




|||



If you spend any time in Prague at some point you%26#39;ll notice men walking around with a square leather pouch connected to their belt and closed by a %26quot;buckle and pin%26quot; i.e. just like a regular belt buckle. In this will be their wallet, cigarettes, lighter and mobile. Almost impossible to cut off or open without feeling. They are the best deterrent to pickpockets that I know.





The chain will put a lot of people off and would stop the whole wallet from being taken (saving photos and credit cards etc) but, they%26#39;ll still get the cash. And while I%26#39;m there, don%26#39;t hang anything around your neck either.





The trick is to make yourself not liable to being targeted, my advice is not to carry a wallet at all.





Jason




|||



We are planning on traveling to Prague in the fall of 2006. Do you know an area to look for a hotel room that is close to the sights....also what are the sights that we must not miss. We would like an inexpensive hotel room, $70 or less for the two of us. Also, are there other cities close by that we should visit?



We would appreciate your answers....or an idea where we could find the answers.



Thanks so much.



David and JoAnne




|||



FAO David and JoAnne



I can recommed the Cloister Inn which is very centrally located and within walking distance of everything, even the Castle. The staff are helpful and friendly and it%26#39;s not expensive.


You can book through www.hotelconnect.com which is easy to use. The only point is there is no restaurant in the hotel, but there are adequate food facilities nearby so you%26#39;ll not go hungry.



Gilly


N.Ireland




|||



Gilly, thank you for the info.

No comments:

Post a Comment