Friday, March 30, 2012

Tips needed for 3 day break in June

Hi, am an Aussie girl in my early 30%26#39;s, will be spending 3 1/2 days in Prague on my own at the end of June - would be grateful if anyone could give me some tips on what to see, what to avoid, where to stay and where to eat etc. Will be on a reasonable budget so would like a hotel 3 star + that is clean and central. Any tips on transfers to and from the airport also most welcome!




|||



Avoid any cheap hotel which is quoted on a low cost airlines website. this is more likely than not to be full of stag parties




|||



When you say reasonable budget would be helpful if you could expand, my idea of reasonable might be very different to yours. What do you think you want to see whilst there?




|||



Hi, my idea of a reasonable budget is less than $200usd a night for accomodation - would prefer a hotel that is clean and central to the main parts of Prague as I am quite happy to do a lot of walking instead of using public transport.



As far as a daily budget goes, I would be willing to spend whatever is necessary to see the best parts of Prague, but when it comes to eating out I prefer to not spend a lot of money, preferably less than $15usd a meal.



I am a bit of a history buff, especially when it comes to the 2nd World War, am also impressed by castles etc. Basically, just want to see whatever the %26quot;must-see%26quot; places are.



Would also like to know where a good pub or nightclub would be for me to go, something not too hard core where people in their 30s hang out (don%26#39;t want to feel like an old duck on my holiday!).Will be travelling on my own so would like somewhere that has a nice atmosphere where I am likely to meet people.



Thanks!




|||



Your budget is fine, just with a quick look I can find about 40 hotels that would easily fit. I tend to use www.athos.cz for booking accomodation (unless I get a good all in bargain elsewhere). I%26#39;d avoid staying in or around Wenceslas Square its too comercial for my likely, I like the old town but my personal preference is Mala Strana (Lesser quarter). Old town wise I%26#39;ve stayed at the Grand Hotel Praha opposite the astronomical clock beautiful rooms and great breakfast and good staff. Mala strana side I like U Karlovu Mostu actually in Kampa Island with view of Charles Bridge, new also seemingly popular is Kampa Garden.





Airport transfer wise I usually use the Cedaz mini buses straight outside the building will cos you 480KC (about £12 GBP) and may drop off at other hotels. I could do it in on public transport for less but usually can%26#39;t bothered messing about when we get there.





As a history buff you shouldn%26#39;t miss Vysherad its peaceful and beautiful (get metro down and tram back to avoid the steep hills). Get tram 22 to prohelec (sp) walk down the hill to the loreta and see the Prague sun, continue down to the castle complex and watch the changing of the guard at noon. Continue through first courtyard and see St Vitus, you have a couple of view points up here with some great views. Then down to see St Nicolas on the lesser (big green dome) beautiful church. Down to Petrin get the funicular up, I%26#39;d stop half way for a drink as the view of the old town is lovely from here, then continue up to see the hunger wall and possibly climb Petrin tower. Once back down I%26#39;d cut through to Kampa Island and have a wander around here. On to Charles bridge and over to the old town side, watch the astronomical clock chime. I%26#39;d also go up the Old town hall tower great views. You might also want to commit a morning to wandering through the Jewish quarter and to see the cemetary. I%26#39;d also allow time to see the Jan Palach memorial at the top of Wenceslas square just at the bottom of the steps to the national museum.





Anything else just shout.




|||



Thanks sarahdaly1976 - you are a legend.





I really appreciate your advice, can%26#39;t wait to get there!





Cheers.




|||



Also allow time to see St Cyril and Methedius church on Resslova street (you could do this on your way back from Vysherad), I haven%26#39;t seen this church but I believe it has some WW2 connections and bullet holes from where the Germans laid seige. It%26#39;s high up on my list for our visit in December.




|||



make time to go to the aussie bar Bumerang on the corner of Londynska and Anglicka streets near Namesti Miru. Apparently it is a legend with people down under who live here




|||



Yes, read up on the history of the assassination of Reinhard Heydrich in Prague and the destruction of Lidice. As mentioned, the Czech commandos who killed him were tracked to that church in Prague (one of the group betrayed the others) and they were all killed in a dramatic battle. The bullet holes are still there by an opening to the church basement.




|||



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_of_Saints_Cyril_and_Methodius_(Prague)




|||



moving up for Lisa

No comments:

Post a Comment