Friday, March 30, 2012

Walking tours

I will be in Prague for the first time this summer (4days) and was hoping to do some walking tours. I have always had great success with the London Walks tours in London and I was hoping to find similar, fun English speaking tours in Prague- History and highlights of the different areas( 2- 4 hours) I have seen a few on the Internet but I wonder if anyone has used a particular agency and can recommend them.





I was also wondering if anyone has done any of the 2 hor cycling tours.



ANy suggestions would be appreciated.




|||



I have used City Tours as well as Prague experience,both of which i can recommend,Martin tours also get very good mentions on this forum.




|||



i certainly wouldn%26#39;t do a cycling tour. Most of the centre is pedestrianiszed so you can%26#39;t get there and much of the roads are cobbled with tramlines down them. Plus the drivers in Prague are maniacs who will gladly mow cyclists down.



Whilst many Czechs cycle in the countryside, very few cycle in the city through sheer common sense




|||



the only cyclists I saw last week were a couple of bike couriers,and they were both in the pedestrianised areas.BTW they were even crazier riders than the ones we get in Edinburgh.




|||



Thanks for the info.





I can%26#39;t find a site for City Walks on the internet. Prague Expereince I have been on. I have found a few more on the internet (like redumbrella tours). I guess they may well be all the same- it is probably up to the tour guide and their knowledge and enthusiasm.





As far as the bike tour- I do them in all of the cities I travel to - even London( okay that one was a bit hair-raising I will admit)and Paris.But for the most part these tours will take you to areas off the beaten path and that is why I like them. Maybe I will give it a try and report back!




|||



I have a leaflet for city tours at home,if there is a web site on it I will post when I get home.




|||



You%26#39;re the best.





One more question for you





I have just booked my hotel in Kampa (Kampa Gardens) and I have 4 days in Prague.





Would it be wise to dedicate one day each to the following areas:



1. Lesser Town



2. Castle quarter



3. Jewish Quarter/old town (can they be done together in one day?)



4. New Town ( don%26#39;t know if much interests me here other than shopping perhaps?)





I lied, one more question- which is the best area to be at night (safe and nice resturants etc-we are in our late thirites early forties so night clubs are not an interest to us-Live music- JAZZ would be though)




|||



Frig. for City walks, tryu www.praguer.com. Also Daily Walks, www.walks.cz, Paul%26#39;s tours www.walkingtoursprague.com or Prague Travel www.praguetravel.cz





Most of these and others have stands and leave in front of the astronomical clock in the old town square, so you can get more information there.





Think you can do the castle and lesser quarter in 1.5 to 2 days and the old town and jewish quarter in a day. New town hall on Karlovo namesti is good, and the church of St Cyril %26amp; Methodius where the Heydrich assassins held out is worth visiting. Vysehrad, the original Prague castle is worth visiting and is easily reached on the metro. Do allow yourself though time just to wonder round the streets and look at the buildings and let your nose lead you down streets here and there; in other words, don%26#39;t just stick to guideboooks or tourguides. Some of the best experiences in Prague come from just wondering down sidestreets, especially in the old town and mala strana and discovering hidden gems.





AghaRTA Jazz club on Zelezna, Akord on V Celnici and U Stare pani on Michalska, all in the old town are some of the more popular jazz clubs. Take a copy of the Prague Post when you are here to see what is on. Beware though, jazz clubs are extremely smoky in this country

No comments:

Post a Comment