Tuesday, March 27, 2012

From Airport to Riverside Hotel – hotel car costs...

Hi. My husband and I will arrive at Prague Airport around 8am next Monday. We would like to take a car/taxi directly from the airport to Riverside Hotel because we have a lot of luggage. I contacted the hotel about a car pick up, and their quote is 34euro/one way/one car. I think 34euro is about 976crowns. Is the rate reasonable?



Do you recommend that we should take a taxi, which may cost less than 700crowns(?) from the airport to Riverside Hotel? If so, how can we avoid those drivers who try to rip us off? Or, should we just use a car arranged by the hotel to be safe?



Thanks for your help in advance.




|||



I don%26#39;t think it is an unreasonable charge.the Riverside is a higher classs of hotel and will charge accordingly.Last week I paid 650czk for a transfer to a hotel in Zizkov,I thought the charge was more than reasonable.How much would you pay in New York for an airport transfer?




|||



Personally I would%26#39;nt care, we are just talking about some US dollars here, don%26#39;t we? And is%26#39;nt nice to know that a personal driver is waiting for you?




|||



We paid more than that in New York. If you want the ease of having some there waiting for you then book it, after all it%26#39;s not a massive amount of money and you did say you have a lot of luggage.





PS let me know what the riverside is like I%26#39;ve booked it for New Year. Thanks.




|||



976kc is OK. Hotels in the center charge about 900kc +/- 100kc. You might be able to get a better deal just buy saying, %26#39;can we give you 800kc%26#39;? There aren%26#39;t many tourists now so if they don%26#39;t pick you up they probably won%26#39;t have anybody else to pick up either.





For the taxi, if you get one of the taxis in front of the airport you can get them to give you a fixed price before you get in. That will encourage them to take the most direct route to the hotel.




|||



Thank you all for the comments! I’m more like a train/subway/bus type of person, but am willing to pay extra for safety/convenience when I’m traveling with luggage in foreign countries. I think we will use a hotel car.





unclegus, sarahdaly1976,



Just FYI, a taxi (licensed yellow cab) from JFK Airport to Manhattan/NYC is fixed at US$45+tolls+tip, so taxi drivers can’t rip us off. I always grab a yellow taxi at JFK instead of making a car arrangement, because it’s just easy and very safe.




|||



That is why I always recommend the Hotel car service.I have used this on 3 trips to Prague and never had a problem,cost has alawys been reasonable.




|||



So I make that taxi upto about $60 which if I remember correctly is about what we paid at New Year from JFK to just near Times Square. 34 euros comes out at about $42 so less than you%26#39;d pay from JFK as Unclegus said.




|||



Yup, I’m hoping that things would be cheaper in Prague than in Vienna or NYC. (LOL!)





Prahaman or any local experts -- should I give any tip to the car driver? If so, about 10%??




|||



Hi edokko -





10% would be good. Locals would round up to 1000kc, but since you are a foreigner they will expect more. 1100kc would get you an enthusiastic thank you.




|||



prahaman, thanks for the info! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment