Tuesday, April 17, 2012

1st time traveller to prague

going to prague in april need some advice as i am a female travelling by myself. just need a few tips on what to visit and where to eat, safety etc.




|||



Hi, I lived in the Czech for a year (about 11 years ago) and went back for a visit by myself 3 years ago. So I%26#39;ve travelled there myself. However, I did have friends to meet up with.





I guess the best tips I%26#39;d give you are pack light enough that you feel secure with your bags. Take a belt-bag instead of a purse and keep it in front of you and zipped. The touristy places are generally more expensive than the non-touristy places. The Metro is easy to get around on and there are trams and busses, too.





One of my Czech friends sent me this link for bus info in Prague: http://www.dp-praha.cz/en/





What to visit? How much time you got? Definitely Old Town and Prague Castle. Old Town: start at Vaclavske Namesti (Wenselas Square) and go toward Old Town Square. Take both of those in. Then head for Charles Bridge. Then up the hill in Mala Strana to the Castle! Take the time for a guided tour of the castle. It%26#39;s worth it. You now have to pay to get in the area of the castle called %26quot;Golden Lane%26quot; and that%26#39;s a shame but it%26#39;s a very quaint place worth seeing.





If you like classical music, you might take in a opera or concert. Mozart stayed a place called Bertramka and you can go there. I%26#39;m sure there are other places, but I%26#39;m kind of stuck on Old Town myself. ;-) I could sit for days on Charles Bridge.





Have fun!





--Gabrielle




|||



I tend to be a budget conscious traveler, and went to Prague with my 2 teenage daughters. We enjoyed the old town (Stare Mesto)climb up the tower for a great view,watch the clock, Prague Castle, The Charles Bridge (bring info which explains each statue on the bridge),Mala Strana and Petrin tower I also recommend walking through Hradcany section. Lots of nice shops, some of the most beautiful architecture. Although I am not a huge fan of organized tours, I can recommend Martin sightseeing tours www.martintour.cz I took the prague historical tour, and it gave a great perspective on the town. also if you are up for a marionette show, I suggest the official one: National Marionette Theatre Zatecka str 1 . There are alot of knock offs in the old town , but as far as I could learn this was the %26quot;real%26quot; one. We found that all the tour books say tipping is optional, in tourist areas, 15% TIP was included and non negotiable. I stayed at Tulip Inn Prague Terminus..across the street great restaurant: Needle..for the budget conscious, there is a van called CEDAZ which runs from the airport to Namisti Republiky every 30 in ...(comsiderably cheaper than taxis). Have a safe trip




|||



thanks for the tips will take a look at the website recommended and i will post an update after my visit



cheers



charlotte




|||



Prague is generally pretty safe for women alone (using some common sense of course). Sadly, there cannot be enough warnings about pickpockets. Keep valuables and documents hidden and buried on your person. They are endlessly clever in finding ways to distract and push into people, espcially around public transportation or crowded tourist scenes like the Charles Bridge or Atstronomical Clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment