Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Best Map?

I like to have a map before I visit a new city - which map have you found the most helpful? I love my Streetwise map for Paris, but am not happy with the Streetwise for Venice (too small to read). I would prefer not to need a magnifying glass to use it. Thanks!




|||



We used the Best of Prague Pocket Guide by Lonely Planet. The maps in %26quot;The Best of%26quot; guides are my favorite for most places I travel. They are so easy to access and flip from one area to another, also very compact.




|||



We use our Streetwise map of Prague when we%26#39;re there and have always found it very helpful. The Lonely Planet maps are very good too. We used those for Venice and Rome.




|||



It depends on what you want on the map. In general I like the Marco Polo series. The 1:5000 will give you all the street names in the Old Town and Hradcany areas and the main tourist objectives. The 1:20000 map gives everything within the city limit as well as bus and tram info. The pop-up maps are great if you intend staying only in Prague 1. In Prgaue, go to Wenceslas Square and look for %26quot;Palac Knih%26quot; halfway up on the left. Lots of maps on the left as you go in. Kanzelsburger is the other big book/map shop on Wenceslas Square. It%26#39;s at the bottom of the Square opposite Dunkin Doughnuts and the maps are on the 4th floor I believe.





Jason




|||



I have a streetwise one which is laminated and still in fairly good condition after 5 trips. I also have a pop up which is better for the metro than the streetwise one.




|||



loved our streetwise map - lamination is great since i kept droping it in the snow




|||



Laminated maps are good. Whatever one you choose (I use the freitag and berndt red and green cover one), make sure it has the tramlines and tram stations carefully marked up, as if you are going up to the castle, it is good to know which trams go where and where they stop




|||



I have the Berndtson %26amp; Berndston 1:11000 street map. It%26#39;s laminated, has a metro guide and highlights 30 popular attractions. You can mark on the lamination and then erase it!



www.berndston.com





I also have a small gem put out by Knopf CityMap Guides - each section has a pop-up map of just the local area you are looking at with very detailed street maps along with highlights of restuarants, shops, and attractions.



www.aaknopf.com




|||



Thank you all! I%26#39;m off to find one of these suggested maps...

No comments:

Post a Comment